- Fully vaccinated: You are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after you receive your final dose of vaccine.
- Indoors: Includes being inside a building or inside a vehicle.
- You are not required to wear a face covering if you are alone in a room with the door closed or when eating or drinking.
- If you are not fully vaccinated, you should avoid eating indoors in crowded settings, choose outdoor dining options and use to-go options as much as feasible, or when those options are not available, you should maintain 6 feet of physical distance while eating and drinking.
- Face coverings are not required if you are performing a task that cannot be performed while wearing a face covering.
- Face coverings do not have to be worn by a residential student while in their own living space (e.g., room, suite, apartment, etc.) regardless of vaccination status.
- Performers at indoor live events such as theater, opera, symphony, religious choirs, and professional sports while actively performing or practicing are not required to wear a face covering, but such individuals should maximize physical distancing as much as practicable.
Please note that individuals with an approved medical or religious exemption are still required to wear a face covering while indoors.
Face coverings must cover both your nose and mouth and have no visible holes or openings.
|Acceptable ||Unacceptable |
|Cloth face coverings made of tightly woven fabric or non-woven material of at least two layers ||Face shield without drapes when worn without an approved face covering |
|Surgical mask ||Face covering with exhalation valves or vents |
|N95 respirator ||Counterfeit (fake) KN95 mask |
|Medical procedure mask ||Scarf |
| ||Ski mask |
| ||Balaclava |
| ||Bandana |
| ||Turtleneck |
| ||Collar |
| ||Single-layer of fabric |
As an exception to the above for unique situations such as delivering instruction:
UC Berkeley continues to offer free cloth face coverings to all employees. Instructors and departments are also welcome to pick up a free box of disposable surgical masks for their classroom, department or office. Instructors may also pick up a face shield with a drape while supplies last. See the cloth face coverings distribution schedule
for pick-up times and location. If an employee would prefer a different brand of face-covering or shield not provided by the campus but that meets the above criteria, they may purchase at their own expense.